New in the Solverse: 8 Official Scene Types, Rarities, Dynamic Star System Overlays + Streamlined Royalties
Welcome explorer 🚀
In a previous blog post, we covered our new builder community, the introduction of creator grants, and visions for expanding the Infinity Universe. We also launched our first explorer quest with a 3D airdrop in the end based on community lore.
Today, we’re excited to launch three major infrastructure updates and streamlined royalties in the Solverse that support our vision of building the Infinity Extended Universe.
By the end of this post, you’ll learn about:
- 8 Official Scene Types for all 8000+ pieces: Creatures, Events, Plant Life, Magical Items, Celestial Beings, Cosmos, Landmarks and Landscapes. Easily collect your favorite scenes, create sub-communities, and build on top of the collection with the introduction of the official “type” attribute.
- Official Rarities — Infinity Community Members old and new have asked about rarity since the genesis of the collection. With the introduction of the 8 Official Scene Types, this once implicit rarity is now explicit to help the masses get to know the Solverse better.
- Dynamic Infinity Scene Overlays: Star System & More — Stars now appear in the bottom-right of your scene based on the number of timelines merged in it. We also added additional details in the attributes of each NFT and title. This star system is inspired by real-world collectibles and dynamically updates as you merge. The overlay also includes additional information, like the Scene Number so someone who sees your scene can look up which one it is.
- Streamlined Project Royalties — We’ve updated all artist royalties to be the same percentage. We’ll be contributing to additional creator grants as well as the infinity builder community.
Let’s dive in ⬇️
1. The 8 Official Scene Types
Previously, you needed to be familiar with the entire collection on gallery.infinitylabsnft.com to know what kind of scenes you see and collect. It was also unofficial, based on shared community descriptions.
With the introduction of Official Scene Types, we’ve made it easier than ever to collect your favorite scenes, create sub-communities, and build on top of the collection.
Over months, the team determined official scene types and went through the thousands of lore submissions to determine 8 distinct categories: Creatures, Events, Plant Life, Magical Items, Celestial Beings, Cosmos, Landmarks and Landscapes.
Each of the 1111 Scenes from the Solverse now have official types reflected in the “type” attribute in your NFT. To view your scene’s type, look up your NFT in your Phantom Wallet or on Solana Explorer.
Why introduce official scene categories?
- In the past, groups gathered around implicit scene types, such as collectors of magical creatures, magical items, landscapes and more. Now that these types are official, community members can better self-organize.
- Having official scene categories makes it easier for builders to create on top of the Infinity Ecosystem, scrape our metadata and more, including the internal dev team. We might experiment with introducing some additional fun for holders of certain scene types!
- Introducing a new “type” attribute now adds official rarity to scenes that only existed implicitly before (more info in the next “Official Rarities” section).
2. Official Rarities
Now that we have 8 Official Scene Types, there are now rarities for these scenes based on their types.
Below is a breakdown of quantities for each of the scene types:
This means that based on scene type, the most rare scenes (via occurrence) are the following, from most common to most rare:
Merging scenes can also make your scenes more rare: the more timelines merged, the more rare your scene becomes.
In the future, we aim to have rarity charts available for easier viewing.
Why point this out?
Infinity Community Members old and new have asked about rarity since the genesis of the collection. Previously, only hardcore Infinity fans would know relatively how rare a scene is based on their knowledge of the entire 1111-scene collection. With the introduction of the 8 Official Scene Types, this once implicit rarity is now explicit to help the masses get to know the Solverse better.
3. New Dynamic Infinity Scene Overlays + Star System
The star system overlay comes as one of the most highly requested features, whether you find a scene on twitter and want to know what scene number it is, or want to quickly see if a scene has reached 2 timelines merged or not on your favorite marketplace.
We’ve made it easy to recognize 1) infinity work and 2) merged / unmerged scenes on marketplaces and aggregators. We’ve done this by creating a star-system overlay on all scenes to easily indicate a scene’s timeline rarity without reading its title or attributes:
We’ve tested dozens of designs, including 3, 4, and 8 star systems, alternative indicators, and more. Our goal was to have a simple design that:
- Is simple and uncluttered: Didn’t take away from the art of the scene.
- Contained useful additional context: A collector can trace additional information to the NFT via thumbnail (scene number, number of timelines in the scene, rough stage of merging), and learn more via the NFT attributes.
- Incentivizes collectors to focus on timeline merges 2, 4, 6, and 8: These merging stages are either unique scene evolutions (e.g an animation) or are significant milestones that are cleanly divisible by 100 (25%, 50%, 75%, 100% completed respectively).
What happens if I merge 3, 5 or 7 timelines?
In the case of merging 3, 5, and 7 timelines, they’ll have the same number of stars as 2, 4, and 6 timelines respectively. This puts greater emphasis on reaching the next significant stages of merging (2, 4, 6, 8).
The explicit number of timelines is updated in both the thumbnail and in the metadata/attributes, which is searchable across marketplaces and applications.
You’ll always be able to know how many timelines are merged in each scene from both the visual overlay and the attributes data.
Solving Marketplace Preview Problems
Scenes with more timelines merged in it are more rare. 2 timelines merged also contains an animation. Currently, however, marketplaces and other platforms don’t support auto-playing animated video scenes when browsing. This means that most end-users won’t know it’s a rarer and animated scene until they click on the NFT, press a hidden “play” button to play the animation, see that the title has “2-Timelines” in it, and/or search for the timelinesMerged=2 attribute.
Overlays are dynamically generated for lighter and dark scenes, and update as you merge
We also took the time to algorithmically generate these scene overlays based on the brightness of underlying scenes. Scenes that are bright have darker overlays and vice versa.
When you merge, your overlay graphic will automatically update.
Kudos to our engineering team for making this happen!
Streamlined Project Royalties
In this metadata update, we’ve also streamlined all NFT royalties in the Scenes from the Solverse collection to have the same artist royalties. Previously, scenes had 8.88% and 5% artist royalties for merged and unmerged scenes in the same collection, respectively. With everything in the Solverse happening in eights, we’ve decided to update them all to 8.88%.
This will help community initiatives such as the Infinity Grants program and Infinity Builder Community, with the additional 3.88% royalties going towards funding additional creator grants. If you haven’t already applied for July’s $1k grants, check it out in our previous blog post.
We’ve introduced 8 Official Scene Types, Rarities and Dynamic Star System Overlays and more. You can view all of these changes mentioned above in Phantom Wallet and on Solana Explorer today!
Over time, they will also be reflected on marketplaces, aggregators and rarity tools, including Magic Eden.
If you have a suggestion for a tool, aggregator and/or marketplace to be updated or listed on, head over to our discord and enter it in the #feedback-ideas channel or file a ticket for the team to view.
Bonus: $1k Creator Grants
If the introduction of rarities and scene types inspired you to create, build or organize something, check out and apply for July’s $1k creator grants!
We support and welcome new ideas and proposals, whether you’re a builder, creator or learner of any type.
All you have to do is join our Infinity Builder Community and fill in this short proposal form (Due July 26!)
That’s all for now, explorers. More updates to come soon.
To infinity ♾